Crock-Pot Turkey & Navy Bean Pumpkin Chili
Recipe type: Gluten free, Dairy free, Refined sugar free, Yeast free, Corn free, Grain free
A warm and delicious crock-pot prepared pumpkin and tomato based chili filled with turkey, white beans, and sweet onions.
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 yellow onion, chopped (yield – 1.5 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoon chili powder, to taste
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1½ cups navy beans, rinsed and drained *see note
- 14 oz. can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 28fl oz. diced tomatoes – I used crushed tomatoes because it’s all I had, but diced would have been better
- 1 cup water + 1 teaspoon chicken or vegetable gluten-free, yeast-free bouillion, or 1 cup chicken stock
- ¼ teaspoon herbamare
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- chopped cilantro, chives, or pepita seeds for topping (optional)
- Heat a large saucepan over high heat and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add meat and cook, breaking it up until white, about 10 minutes. Add to the crock-pot.
- Add remaining oil to the saute pan and drop in onions and garlic. Saute for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add red pepper, yellow pepper, chili powder, and cumin and saute for another minute.
- Add to crock pot. Add remaining ingredients and cover to cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Remove the bay leaf and adjust seasoning to taste before serving. Enjoy!
Beans are totally optional! If you want to make it paleo, replace beans with 1 cup pepita seeds or sunflower seeds.